CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
    Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Default The Scalene Neck Muscles

These are rather important to your biomechanics.This article states that some people actually have 4 on each side instead of 3....

http://stopsuckingatlife.wordpress.c...alene-training

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

This article states that some people will have 3 on one side and 4 on the other.These muscles occupy a very crowded place,the carotid artery,jugular vein,intermediate tendon of the omohyoid muscle,phrenic nerve,,and the transverse cervical and scapular arteries all lie between the anterior scalene and the sternocleidomastoid muscle,it makes sense to beef this up and stretch them.They also assist with breathing.The article discusses a stretching method,I like to use a universal machine for stretching,standing between the handlse of a benching station with the bench pulled out of course,I lower the shoulders under tension and then move my head laterally away from one side and then the other.I transfer most of the load to the slightly lowered shoulder,moving the head in the opposite direction.EDIT You will have to scroll down to Scalenes

http://www.gustrength.com/muscles:sc...trigger-points
    Last edited by cog; 04-09-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Super Moderator
    National Level Bodybuilder

I had issues with this muscle group for close to a year - finally has let up. It's no joke when you have issues with this muscle group - can basically effect everything you do in the gym! Good info there... thanks for the links

Twirp

Strengthening and stretching of this group makes sense but what about dealing with dysfunction, e.g. trigger points? They can be a real beatch Find a good Registered massage therapist and have them strip these bad boys out and use compression to release triggers.
    Sometimes the pain can be down right pleasurable.., if you are into sadomasochism, lol