CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ab Training!

Amateur

Actually found a really good alternative ab movement now. Weighted GHD sit ups. You get the stretch of 180 degrees from the floor up and and weighted its perfect combination between stretching and contraction while overloading. The best ab exercise I have felt and done yet!

-Primal

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

GHD sit ups are another staple movement that really stretch the lower abdomen and hips.Not too sure about the added weight.The cross fit guys go higher reps,warlock said he knew some chiros that had encountered clients that had injured themselves with this movement,I kinda feel my way down to the bottom.
    Last edited by cog; 15-09-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

^^ Yes. The GHD is all I use for direct ab training.

Try doing a TVA during your rest periods while doing a lower back extension. I find ab training to most effective and efficient when the lower back is trained at the same time.
    Never give up a cabinet!!

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Quote Originally Posted by #8 View Post

Try doing a TVA during your rest periods while doing a lower back extension. I find ab training to most effective and efficient when the lower back is trained at the same time.
    Interesting,don't believe I have ever tried seriously combining them.

Amateur

Hmm what's a TVA? Yeah I'm doing that now! I put abs specifically on my back day so I do deadlifts, a few accessories and then straight to the GHD. I don't go all the way down to the floor when I have the weight. You lose tension when you get past horizontal so it is useless for the abs. I only go down to the floor when I just do bodyweight and that is just mostly at the beginning for the stretch. What I like about the GHD is that unlike a bench, your back doesn't make contact to anything as it lowers down, there is literally nothing there to support you. Whereas as on a bench, the lower you go the more the back makes contact with the bench thereby providing you with a surface to take the tension off and even rest on if you wanted too.

-Primal

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

a TVA is where you suck in your gut as hard as you can for as long as you can.

It targets the muscles underneath your visible abs and keeps your core tight.
    Never give up a cabinet!!

Amateur

a TVA is where you suck in your gut as hard as you can for as long as you can.

It targets the muscles underneath your visible abs and keeps your core tight.
    Oh wow, sounds like something you would do to train for a vacuum pose! I'll give it a shot for sure!

I've got another question about abs and I hope it doesn't come off as stupid. So if you focus on your abs in a direct sit up motion all the time (whether that be sit ups, rollouts, GHD ie. any ab exercise not involving the twisting of the core) when you cut down, will your midsection look unproportional? I was just wondering because when I cut down this year, my abs and my serratus tied together really nicely but my abs weren't 'popping' yet you know what I mean? Like I don't have much thickness to them yet. I plan on really building up my abs this year but I'm just curious should I put movements like woodchoppers and Russian twists in to activate my serratus and obliques and keep maintain or build them up to where my abs will be at? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

-Primal

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

The large diameter ab wheels work upper abs a little harder.Leg raise in a station or on the rings hit lower.Side bends on your side where you bend in the middle.Or you can take one handle on a stack start straight and bend to the side while keeping your back straight.Lots of things to do,trx reverse pike ect....twisting motion suspended on the trx is a killer.Front flexion laying on your back with a padded bar on your forehead,your trunk usually curves a bit,got very sore abs top to bottom a few times in a row doing these.Paddling.
    Last edited by cog; 18-09-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Amateur

Awesome thanks cog!

-Primal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12