CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bodybuilder

As Prae said - benches , close grip , deads and squats. Also , since we both have ecto body types I would suggest to do as i did and keep arms specific exercises to a minimum number of exercises and reps. My best growth occured from 2 bi exercises and 2 tris. You get plenty of work for tris from shoulder presses and bench presses so they dont need too much extra. As for bis , I always like incline dbs as heavy as i could go for 8 reps (used to use the 70's) and standing straight bar. Now that I have enough mass I try concentrating on shape and using less weight to get the job done.
    And yes, I'd say that you would probably need to gain 10-15 lbs to gain an inch. My best cold measurement was 18.5 at approx 250. They look much better now at 230lbs but I have no idea how big they are.

Amateur

I tried doing the low volume bi's and tri's a while back and I just felt like I wasn't doing enough, my gym sessions would be cut really short (I'm really big on volume). My triceps are still super crappy even with all the love they get from the compound exercises... it's sort of like the same deal with my back. Deadlifts work wonders for my erectors... that's it. I don't feel it in my lats, legs (hamstrings), and sometimes a bit in the lower back. Not saying this is bad at all, but I find that the secondaries like the v-bar lat pull down and the t-bar helped develop my back a lot more than deadlifts, so far at least. I haven't stopped doing them, but in terms of targeting the muscle groups thoroughly it's always the isolated exercises that target better for me :/ Haha so now my erectors are really thick and my upper back is lagging behind now, it was the opposite way a year ago! But this goes back to what I was saying about my triceps too, I like doing close grip bench press for my triceps but even then I find it doesn't isolate as well as push downs! And I do a loooot of benching, I've been working on chest 3 times a week a while ago and I still find that my triceps are always small and have a hard time growing... They should be growing from my chest days, shoulder days and my dedicated arms days too right? But they're still small so I don't know.

Holy hell Hosehead, 250lbs?? Damn making me feel small, even over the internet! I'm 6"4 at 188 with itty-bitty 15's!

-Primal

Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Primal View Post
    I tried doing the low volume bi's and tri's a while back and I just felt like I wasn't doing enough, my gym sessions would be cut really short (I'm really big on volume). My triceps are still super crappy even with all the love they get from the compound exercises... it's sort of like the same deal with my back. Deadlifts work wonders for my erectors... that's it. I don't feel it in my lats, legs (hamstrings), and sometimes a bit in the lower back. Not saying this is bad at all, but I find that the secondaries like the v-bar lat pull down and the t-bar helped develop my back a lot more than deadlifts, so far at least. I haven't stopped doing them, but in terms of targeting the muscle groups thoroughly it's always the isolated exercises that target better for me :/ Haha so now my erectors are really thick and my upper back is lagging behind now, it was the opposite way a year ago! But this goes back to what I was saying about my triceps too, I like doing close grip bench press for my triceps but even then I find it doesn't isolate as well as push downs! And I do a loooot of benching, I've been working on chest 3 times a week a while ago and I still find that my triceps are always small and have a hard time growing... They should be growing from my chest days, shoulder days and my dedicated arms days too right? But they're still small so I don't know.

Holy hell Hosehead, 250lbs?? Damn making me feel small, even over the internet! I'm 6"4 at 188 with itty-bitty 15's!

-Primal
    I f you do chest three times a week not only will your tris not grow - nothing will grow ! Anyone who tells you that it's impossible to over train is full of shit. You are a big time ectomorph and I used to train like you. I never grew much at all. Volume is great ONCE you've built a solid frame through the big lifts. Don't confuse getting a pump with isolating the targeted muscle. I can get a skin breaking pump by doing concentration curls with a 20 LB DB. But it won't cause **** all to grow. Chins with a supinated grip would be a much better exercise and it's not even primarily a bicep exercise.
    Do yourself a huge favour and stop analyzing things. If you ever want to grow substantially you must say goodbye to your abs for a long time.

EAT - make it a job.
    LIFT HEAVY WITH THE BIG THREE - 6-8 reps.
    REST

It's ****ing easy and that's coming from an ecto with so so genetics who has made every mistake in the book.I guaran****ingtee that if you give it time then you will see the results. But you have to stick with it and EAT !

National Level Bodybuilder

Amen!

P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**

Bodybuilder

Look at power lifters and strongmen competitors . You'd be hard pressed to ever find them doing concentrations curls, rope extensions pushdowns or anything commonly known as 'isolation' exercises. Yet they have huge arms ! Why ? They bench heavy (heavy being relative to the individual) squat heavy , deadlift heavy ! Yes they add in other things along the way like standing shoulder presses , chins , close grips ,bent rows etc BUT it's the big three that add size to them. And they eat like mother****ers ! You'll also notice that even though they won't have 32 inch waists that many of them are quite muscular - Pud is the best example. You add that much size and you'll burn off a tremendous amount of fat too. You need to stick with that program and by stick with it I mean 6 months to a year ! You probably are not as much of as hard gainer as you think. Turns out I wasn't - I just wasn't training to be big and I wasn't eating to be big. Now get at it !

Amateur

Got me all fired up even after work! Alright I'll go and kill it!

-Primal

Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

Not sure how try it is, but I have heard more than once you need to gain approx. 10lbs of muscle to your body to add approx. 1" to your arms.

But I totally agree with Hosehead and what he has been saying above.
    Last edited by theboss; 06-01-2015 at 09:46 AM.

"I'll wrap my dick around your neck and start you like a lawn mower"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234