CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amateur

I don't know, whenever I really push myself with bench especially I seriously can't feel my chest working and I am never sore! I don't know why and I've touched on it before... sorry yeah I didn't really mean 'fasted' I just call it that because to me it is the longest I go without eating. I should say neither full nor hungry, just a nice medium inbetween. Also Im a terrible presser (probably because of my incredibly small wrists)... Just trying to find something that works for me a lot better than what is already right now.

-Primal

National Level Bodybuilder

Be patient and study the proper technique...but the best way is to get someone who knows how to bench correctly to teach you. It takes time to learn how to bench heavy correctly (years) for hypertrophy or strength it doesnt happen in weeks or months.

P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**

Amateur

Ugh! I know, but it's really hard being patient! This year has been one of the worst years in terms of body image. I never have a huge problem with it, but I'm finding myself looking small all the time and it bugs me a lot, especially my lagging points. I'm really competitive and it bothers me that there are people my age age who look bigger and are better than me even if they've been training longer and have more experience. Back onto the topic of chest, I've had a few people at my gym try to help me with the bench press one was apparently a well respected power lifter back in the day. The guy said my arms were so long I had to put my thumb on the far ring of the bar. My hand was about 5 inches away from the bar placers were holding it. I tried it this way and it felt so awkward and put a huge strain on my shoulders... I mean with my arms it took a good 2 years to bring them up and look proportional with everything else, I'm hoping it will be like that for chest too.

I'll keep trying to nail down the form though, thanks Prae!

-Primal

You have to be very careful who you ask for help. Nine times out of ten the guy thinks he knows what he is doing but in reality it is far from correct. Good trainers and I don't mean PT's in commercial gyms i mean real strength coaches are difficult to find. That's why i suggest youtube and watching everything by Dave Tate, Mark Ripptoe, and the West Side guys. A wide grip puts more strain on the shoulders and a narrow grip benefits those with very strong triceps...you have to find that sweet spot in between.
    Also you will have to get used to the idea of some guys being better than you because there always will be someone better...that's life...deal with it!! You want to get better than most...no problem...make the sacrifice. Do you want it or would you just like to have it....HUGE difference! You dont have to be THE best...just be YOUR best!

P

P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
    Also you will have to get used to the idea of some guys being better than you because there always will be someone better...that's life...deal with it!! You want to get better than most...no problem...make the sacrifice. Do you want it or would you just like to have it....HUGE difference! You dont have to be THE best...just be YOUR best!
    Solid advice right there. There is always someone better, and not necessarily people who have trained longer or harder than you. Yes, sometimes they are better because they've been at it longer. Sometimes people are just better without any effort, or consistency - whether through sports, studies, looks, anything. Optimizing your own self is what it's all about.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
    You have to be very careful who you ask for help. Nine times out of ten the guy thinks he knows what he is doing but in reality it is far from correct. Good trainers and I don't mean PT's in commercial gyms i mean real strength coaches are difficult to find. That's why i suggest youtube and watching everything by Dave Tate, Mark Ripptoe, and the West Side guys. A wide grip puts more strain on the shoulders and a narrow grip benefits those with very strong triceps...you have to find that sweet spot in between.

P
    I know Prae, that's why I said 'apparently' he was a respected powerlifter. Still trying to find that sweet spot you're talking about but I hit a new PR on the flat bench today (235 lbs for 1). Hit it accidentally actually. My gym buddy and I were trying to skip over 205 lbs as we worked our way up close to our maxes. So we skipped the 205 and went from 185 to 225 instead. I hit the 225 for a double with decent speed which never happens and thought I'd try to see if I could jump a bit higher!

Haha, thanks for the pep talk Prae, I guess I'll just have to get that message in my head even if it takes the hard way to figure it out :/ also nice to hear from you again too Steve

-Primal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12