CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Twirp

Default Men's Physique: GX's road to the 2012 BC's (and beyond)

Hello all! My name is Brandon Best, and I am entering into the new Men's Physique division at the BC's this year. This is my first show, although not first attempt at it. Looks like this time, I am going to make it!!

I will endeavor to keep this short and sweet.

I am from the U.S., have been here in Surrey for almost fifteen months, and married to fitbody (Dawn Alison). My background is in martial arts, having trained in various styles of traditional Chinese gung-fu/wushu, and also in other arts, starting at ten-years-old (I am now 36), and am currently a student of Bak Mei gung-fu. My original goal was to put on size for bodybuilding, but when it was announced that Men's Physique was coming this year, with a straight shot to the BC's, top five going to Nationals, AND there was the chance at winning a pro card... and it was all happening here in the Metro Vancouver area, so I would not even have to leave the province... well, it just made good sense. I agreed, although reluctant, as I wanted to go with bodybuilding. However, I have had time to come to grips with this truth: Although I know what I want, the bottom line is that my genetics are suited for Men's Physique, not bodybuilding. Oh, I train like a bodybuilder. I eat like a bodybuilder. I technically build my body... but I am a Physique guy. So be it. I can dig it.

Enough for now. Follow along. You will come to know more about me, for sure. Some pictures to get things started. These will show me in my various stages throughout the last few years, going back as far as 2008 (the first picture), and ending with this year (taken this past Friday)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07-04-08.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	29329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	29337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelowna 2011.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	29336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yaxeni Oriquen.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	29335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stan Efferding.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	29334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirror shot.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	29333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	29332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June 11.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	29331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiger.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	29330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quarter Turn Right Side.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	29338

Get ready for a ride!!!

Twirp

I am all over the place.

My website: www.absolutebesttraining.com

Facebook: facebook.com/GaoshangXiongshou

Twitter: @Xiongshou

Twirp

Dawn and I have been keeping a close eye on the Men's Physique scene in the U.S. Yesterday was the 2012 NPC NY Metropolitans. It was a pretty large turnout for this division. And in the end, Class C winner Sadik Hadzovik took the overall...

Name:	Sadik Hadzovik - 2012 Overall Winner.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	29339

Twirp

The IFBB Governor's Cup was on March 24, 2012. Taking the top spot in this show... Matt Christianer.

Name:	Matt Christianer - First place IFBB Governor's Cup.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	29340

It appears that Matt was a former MW bodybuilder, coming in tied for 15th at the 2010 NPC USA's.

National Level Bodybuilder

Good stuff GX... work your butt off because i think there will be quite a few bodybuilders making the switch (myself included). I still haven't found any information on where they'll put mens physique at the National level yet. obviously the only 2 choices are either in bc with the elite bodybuilders and figure, fitness, bikini nationals or with the bodybuilders in Edmonton. I could see the women's physique for sure with the bodybuilders though. Cmon CBBF let's make some decisions known for the athletes who need to plan!.......man i am pumped for this... i have a feeling this could be my yr.
    2010 CBBF National Champion
    Join CanadianMuscleTeam.com for precontest and offseason coaching

Twirp

Quote Originally Posted by Delt King View Post
    Good stuff GX... work your butt off because i think there will be quite a few bodybuilders making the switch (myself included). I still haven't found any information on where they'll put mens physique at the National level yet. obviously the only 2 choices are either in bc with the elite bodybuilders and figure, fitness, bikini nationals or with the bodybuilders in Edmonton. I could see the women's physique for sure with the bodybuilders though. Cmon CBBF let's make some decisions known for the athletes who need to plan!.......man i am pumped for this... i have a feeling this could be my yr.
    Men's Physique will be with the Figure, Fitness, and Bikini Nationals in New Westminster, BC. Aug. 11.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Welcome Brandon,I believe the new class will become popular with the public.It would also be good to hear any fitness tips from your martial arts background,there is usually something that can provide insight.

Twirp

Quote Originally Posted by cog View Post
    Welcome Brandon,I believe the new class will become popular with the public.It would also be good to hear any fitness tips from your martial arts background,there is usually something that can provide insight.
    That I can do!! It may take me a while to recall some specifics, because so much of it is second nature to me at this point, that it feels like a natural thing as opposed to something done specifically for a purpose.

Flexibility training would be the first, and most obvious influence to be culled from the martial arts. That is something that must not be ignored. And it is not just about doing the splits either. You want to have as much flexibility as possible with your body. This is not only good for your ROM in joints, BUT the stretching will also allow for a portion of a muscle shaping effect, which is one half of the whole that is created by the next part...

Which is iso-tension postures, taken from forms training. The very act of practicing forms themselves allows for a dynamic stretching environment and a low impact contraction environment (in comparison to weight training). Going back to the very beginning of Chinese martial arts, Da Mo developed moving exercise patterns (which later became adapted for fighting applicability out of necessity, becoming the wellspring for future Chinese martial arts styles) to essentially do just that: stretch and strengthen the body. So me, whereas this aspect of martial art practice has become a distant memory today, I still hold on to it for this reason. That said, moving through the various positions in forms is great for detailing muscle shape and appearance. Leave hypertrophy for the gym.

While any martial art will serve this purpose, be it Chinese or not, some of the better ones I can think of for this specific purpose are:

* Hung Gar
    *Wing Chun
    *Taijiquan
    * Shotokan Karate

It really is an invaluable cross training. Also, do not forgo or underestimate the importance and worth of weapons training; this is an entirely different muscle control, balance, and expression in movement that will differ somewhat from empty hand practice. It will only benefit you more. Bear in mind though that, while not entirely true as was once thought, greater muscularity CAN be a bit of a hindrance. My current shifu keeps remarking about this. But it is doable. Now, if you are not so concerned with performance, and just looking at it from a complementary standpoint to your bodybuilding, enjoy! That is what it is there for.

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

We spend far more time building than stretching over here.Some of the best growth I ever experienced was when I did a lot(10 times a day)stretching of my upper body.Lower body most of us are in kindergarten,compared to martial artists.Apparently Tom Platz could do the splits.I looked at a martial arts site devoted to stretching,we have a lot to learn here.Most of us don't even spend the time for proper stretching for squats,including myself.

Twirp

Quote Originally Posted by cog View Post
    We spend far more time building than stretching over here.Some of the best growth I ever experienced was when I did a lot(10 times a day)stretching of my upper body.Lower body most of us are in kindergarten,compared to martial artists.Apparently Tom Platz could do the splits.I looked at a martial arts site devoted to stretching,we have a lot to learn here.Most of us don't even spend the time for proper stretching for squats,including myself.
    Oh, trust me, consistent and proper stretching of hamstrings and groin will HUGELY effect all variations of the squat for the better.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast