CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Twirp

Default Did I tear my bicep muscle ?

Hi everyone,

Its been a while. Nice to see some old faces. Anyways, here is my situation. 2 days ago, I was doing heavy preacher curls for 6 to 8 reps and during my 4th set as I was going down to a negative position, I heard a tearing or popping sound. I put the weight down immediately and lost all strength in my right arm. The pain was near my elbow and bottom bicep. I then left and headed to the doctor immediately in an open clinic without an appointment. Right now I am waiting for a ultrasound of my bicep which could take 2 weeks with a private clinic.

Right now my injured arm looks inflated and bruised around my lower bicep all the way to my upper forearm. I cant lift nothing as its quite painful. The doctor said that he could not be 100% sure if its a muscle tear unless the ultrasound is complete. Does anyone have any experience with this situation. I could still cook, drive and do everyday things. But could not train. To give you an idea. I barbell curl 105 for 10 reps in strict form on average and right now I cant even curl the bar as I have no strength and the pain is really bad.

This sucks, my training was going better than ever and was in my best shape yet. Hoping its nothing too serious that will keep me out of the gym for weeks.

Wannabe

if you have bruising and swelling, that is not the result of an injection, you can basically be assured that you have torn a muscle

Bodybuilder

Sent ya a pm. Hopefully it's helpful.

Bodybuilder

Why is it taking 2 weeks to get an ultrasound? You should be able to get in right away, same as an xray...

National Level Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by test_for_life View Post
    Hi everyone,

Its been a while. Nice to see some old faces. Anyways, here is my situation. 2 days ago, I was doing heavy preacher curls for 6 to 8 reps and during my 4th set as I was going down to a negative position, I heard a tearing or popping sound. I put the weight down immediately and lost all strength in my right arm. The pain was near my elbow and bottom bicep. I then left and headed to the doctor immediately in an open clinic without an appointment. Right now I am waiting for a ultrasound of my bicep which could take 2 weeks with a private clinic.

Right now my injured arm looks inflated and bruised around my lower bicep all the way to my upper forearm. I cant lift nothing as its quite painful. The doctor said that he could not be 100% sure if its a muscle tear unless the ultrasound is complete. Does anyone have any experience with this situation. I could still cook, drive and do everyday things. But could not train. To give you an idea. I barbell curl 105 for 10 reps in strict form on average and right now I cant even curl the bar as I have no strength and the pain is really bad.

This sucks, my training was going better than ever and was in my best shape yet. Hoping its nothing too serious that will keep me out of the gym for weeks.
    I have torn both bicep tendons...one in each arm(both distal) and it does sound like you have torn something....the question is...is it the muscle itself or the tendon attaching the muscle to the lower arm. IMO it is a distal bicep tendon tear which is either partial or full...either one will require surgery. It is imperative to get the ultrasound as soon as possible as the longer one waits to have surgery the more scarring will occur on the tendon which makes it difficult to reattach with surgery. The good news is it will take 12 weeks to recover after surgery and you should have all your strength back once you do. If you can move up the ultrasound appointment at all that would help.
    P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**

Wannabe

from what i understand, they have to wait for the swelling to go down before they can do an ultrasound and assess the damage... also since its in 2 weeks sound like they have put you on the semi urgent list instead of the urgent so they likely dont think you had a full tear

did they put you in a sling or can you still bend ur arm?

Twirp

Quote Originally Posted by LondonMuscle View Post
    from what i understand, they have to wait for the swelling to go down before they can do an ultrasound and assess the damage... also since its in 2 weeks sound like they have put you on the semi urgent list instead of the urgent so they likely dont think you had a full tear

I can still fully bend my arm no problem. They did not put me on a sling as the doc thinks its not as serious as I think. I have seen pics of torn muscles and mines looks nothing like that. Also the doc asked me to do movements for him to get an idea on the damage. He said that in severe cases a torn muscle would make it impossible to do certain movements or with lots of pain associated. I was able to complete every single one of those movements. So I really don't feel its as severe. But I did manage to get an MRI for tomorrow though after making a few phone calls. I really don't want to take a risk waiting this long. Better safe than sorry.

Wannabe

if you can still bend ur arm then its not a full tear, which is a good thing... depending on how bad it is will dictate whether or not you require surgery... let us know how the MRI goes... will probably take a few days to get the results back on that... MRIs are not fun either!

TFL! good to see you still around bud. Miss the rollies

Sorry to hear about your arm.

National Level Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by LondonMuscle View Post

There is no need to wait for anything to do the ultrasound...the sooner the better. I had my ultrasound 2 days after the injury...they would have preferred the next day actually. There is no urgent or semi urgent when it comes to parital or full tears...either way the surgery needs to be done ASAP before scarring over occurs. My first full tear was repaired within 5 days of the injury.
    Even if the tear is partial it requires surgery to repair and the sooner the better....your orthopedic surgeon will confirm this.
    P
    BodyAthletica has teamed up with Canadian Protein.com!
    **Use link http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/5D9LJ57 *free shipping on orders over $99l!*
    **Visit www.bodyathletica.com and www.canadianprotein.com**

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast