CANADA BODYBUILDING - CANADIAN BODYBUILDING FORUM
    Canada Bodybuilding VIP

Default Chicken thighs. Not so bad after all.

After finally giving up on buying chicken breasts that dont taste like carboard (like those at M&M's Meats, and various other less expensive meats of the frozen variety), I realized it is much more economical and tastier IMO to stick with chicken thighs. Once you cook off most of the fat, they arent too bad in comparison calorie wise.

Especially if you are on a lower carb diet and you need the fats for energy this choice makes sense for you.

I found this.

http://www.bellybytes.com/recipes/thighs.shtml

Nutritious Chicken Thighs
    As we are all told, white meat is better for you and dark meat contains too much fat. Consequently, most feel that chicken thighs are too fatty to eat on a regular basis. While it is true that chicken thighs contain twice the amount of fat of boneless, skinless breasts, it is only at a mere 11 grams of fat per 4-ounce serving. That is less than you will find in the same size serving of beef, lamb or pork.

The calories and cholesterol in chicken thighs weigh in at 232 calories and 105 milligrams cholesterol per serving. There is not much difference in the breast meat. It weighs in at 196 calories and 96 milligrams of cholesterol per serving. If you are one who gave up the dark meat of chicken thighs, take heart! You can eat them again - guilt free.

In addition to the nutritional benefits of chicken thighs, they are also more economical. You may purchase them already skinned and boned. This is the best way to buy them and the least expensive way since nearly 25-percent of a whole thigh is bone. If you must buy the whole, skinning and boning them yourself is not difficult. If you do not care for doing that, you can cook them whole and remove the skin before serving.

When you are planning your meal, allow two chicken thighs per person. The average serving-size is four ounces in weight and each chicken thigh averages two ounces. This is after removing the skin and bone. If you do eat them with the skin on, keep in mind you are raising the fat and cholesterol content considerably and removing some of the nutritional benefits.
    Never give up a cabinet!!

Bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey #8 View Post
    In addition to the nutritional benefits of chicken thighs, they are also more economical. You may purchase them already skinned and boned. This is the best way to buy them and the least expensive way since nearly 25-percent of a whole thigh is bone.
    Considering this takes extra steps, is more convenient to the end user, and they are well aware the bone has weight, the prices are adjusted accordingly.

I haven't had thighs since my CKD days, but damn were they good.
    www.TrueProtein.com Discount code KEB246 Save 5%

Canada Bodybuilding VIP

^^ i buy boneless skinless only. so much cheaper than chicken breasts.
    Never give up a cabinet!!

Amateur

I found the thighs taste a like drumsticks. I don't have a barb-q, so maybe I'm losing out, but I found I could never prepare them so they aren't greasy.
    Giv-r till you die

Muscle Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey #8 View Post
    ^^ i buy boneless skinless only. so much cheaper than chicken breasts.
    I haven't found it to be cheaper than frozen chicken breasts. Fresh chicken breasts sure...but not frozen.

unless i'm looking in the wrong areas.

Amateur

I buy chicken thighs with skin and bone in bulk from the superstore and they are pretty cheap. When I get home I remove the skin and all the fat but leave the bone in cause I find that it tastes better when you BBQ it with the bone in. After you cook it there is pretty much no fat what so ever. I know it's a pain in the ass to do all the work but it's worth it in the end. I had 3 pieces for dinner last night.
    Rub the garlic powder on it, crushed red pepper, chilly flakes and a tiny bit of Franks's red hot. It was awesome.
    I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Canadian Bodybuilding Champ

I just stock up on chicken breasts when they are on sale, I loaded the freezer recently when loblaws had 2.99/lb special. They are good quality too, no cardboard taste lol.